PBS LearningMedia has announced that it now offers more than 30,000 digital resources available for free to PreK-12 educators nationwide. The new resources address nationwide curriculum gaps in digital media and bolster the service’s offerings in math, science, English/language arts, social studies and the arts.
New content features include interactive games, videos and lesson plans from PBS and PBS KIDS programs, including CONSTITUTION USA, DANIEL TIGER’S NEIGHBORHOOD, SHAKESPEARE UNCOVERED, and custom-created interactive math and literacy content for middle school classrooms. Highlights include:
• CONSTITUTION USA: Videos, lesson plans, interactives and images from the PBS program. The new content allows students to explore the meaning and relevance of the U.S. Constitution for all Americans.
• DANIEL TIGER’S NEIGHBORHOOD: Videos showcasing the hit PBS KIDS preschool series’ social-emotional curriculum to help early learners build the social skills necessary for school and life.
• MAKERS: Women Who Make America: A collection of videos from the critically acclaimed program with lesson plans that explore the pioneering contributions of women.
• SHAKESPEARE UNCOVERED: Video segments, informational texts, discussion questions and suggestions for extension activities to enhance students’ reading, viewing and appreciation of Shakespeare’s works. This content is deigned for students in grades 8 -12.
• Middle School Math and Literacy Collections: New interactive math and literacy collections targeting subjects not widely covered in the digital space.
Online lessons for blended learning: The Walmart Middle School Literacy Initiative produced by WGBH offers blended, cross-curricular lessons that enhance the literacy skills of struggling readers and writers in grades 5-8.
Digital learning objects: Created in partnership with the Gates Foundation, these objects explore complex math topics such as understanding integers, making math fun and relatable.
PBS LearningMedia is designed to meet the critical needs of educators in 21st century classrooms and was recently honored with the 2013 SIIA CODiE Award for Best K-12 Solution and Best Educational Reference Solution.
Source: PBS LearningMedia, www.pbslearningmedia.org