World Book, Inc. has announced several additions to Science Power, its science website designed to meet the needs of students of varying learning aptitudes. Science Power, first introduced this summer, is a core component of the World Book Classroom collection of content-rich, interactive digital supplemental learning resources.
In September, the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) submitted a report to President Obama on K-12 STEM education. Spurred by the ongoing findings that American students lag peers in other countries in science, PCAST's recommended strategies include preparing students for a strong foundation in STEM subjects and inspiring students so that they are motivated to study STEM subjects and pursue careers in STEM fields.
Teachers and school librarians can apply Science Power to whole-class, small-group, and individual activities as well as to differentiated instruction or intervention use. Public librarians can include Science Power in their children's programming and homework-support services. Science Power also is fully remotely accessible (via subscribing school and library websites).
Designed for students in the upper elementary grades, Science Power lessons cover all science curriculum topics, with highlighted vocabulary, rich multimedia, custom-made animations, and review questions. New comprehensive lesson packages now available in Science Power include:
- Matter, covering such areas as matter basics, acids and bases, changes, properties and states of matter, mixtures and solutions, and elements; and
- Forces & Energy, covering such areas as electricity and magnetism, energy and work, heat, light, motion, simple machines, and sound.
These join lesson packages on Living Things, Ecosystems, Earth, and Weather & Space, which were introduced with the site in August.
Key features across Science Power include:
- Differentiated versions of the lessons written at a lower level for struggling readers and extension activities for advanced students;
Text read aloud by a professional voice actor;
Main idea checks on every page for quick comprehension reinforcement;
Downloadable MP3 podcasts of the lesson content (ideal for both student and teacher quick review);
- Interactive quizzes to review the lesson content and vocabulary as well as tests that check student comprehension, with tracked results for the teacher;
- Teachers' guides and student study guides for every lesson as well as critical thinking questions that prompt students to apply what they've learned; and
- Resources to help expand student learning including science experiments that can be completed at home or at school, with videos demonstrating their concepts, as well as links to related content on the World Book Web and in editor-selected external websites.
Science Power is correlated to main science textbooks and state/provincial standards as well as to Lexile Framework for Reading measurements.
Science Power is available on a subscription basis from World Book's school and library sales force at 800-975-3250 (U.S.) or 800-837-5365 (Canada) and from the school and library ordering site (www.worldbookonline.com/sales).
Source: World Book, www.worldbook.com