E-Scholastic, the online division of Scholastic, has announced the launch of Teacher Book Wizard (www.scholastic.com/bookwizard). The new website enables teachers, librarians, and parents to search a database of over 50,000 books to find the right match for every child, according to reading level, interest, subject, and genre. Teachers and librarians can also download free lesson plans related to specific books and purchase many titles at teacher discounted prices through Scholastic.com’s Teacher Store.
The BookAlike feature helps educators find book recommendations based on a title that their students already know and enjoy. They can also search for titles that are at, above, or below the original book’s reading level.
Teacher Book Wizard offers other tools, including:
· Choice of Reading Level Systems: Choose among the four most common reading level systems: Grade Level Equivalent, Lexile Framework, Guided Reading, and DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment).
· Leveled Search: Search for books by reading level, type, and genre to find titles for all students’ needs and interests.
· My Book Lists: Create and save children’s book lists to print, email, and share with students, parents, teachers, or librarians. Lists are customizable for classes or for individual students.
· List Exchange: Join the online community to share book lists and to see book lists from authors, experts, and teachers that can be saved, used and modified.
· Quick Search: Search by title, author or keyword to find book-specific teaching resources and books by topic.
· Classroom Library Evaluation: Build a better classroom library with the online Scholastic Classroom Books Evaluation Protocol. This research-based tool assesses current classroom libraries to ensure they include the right books— and right mix of books— for students.
Parents can take advantage of the same tools that teachers use to find appropriate and interesting books for their children, as well as share book lists with teachers and other parents.
Source: Scholastic Corporation, www.scholastic.com