SMART Technologies has announced the SMART Board 800 series interactive whiteboard, a next-generation series that will provide the most natural and intuitive user experience yet on a SMART Board interactive whiteboard, according to the announcement. The new 800 series extends the company's interactive whiteboard product line to offer true student collaboration.
The SMART Board 800 series interactive whiteboard supports multiuser writing and common multitouch gestures currently recognized in Microsoft Windows 7 and Mac Snow Leopard. SMART Notebook collaborative learning software will support certain features, such as freestyle interactions, touch gestures and full object awareness upon the release of SMART Notebook 10.7 software -- expected by March 2011 -- which will allow SMART Board 800 series users to take full advantage of gestures within SMART Notebook lesson activities. Using SMART Notebook 10.7 software will enable freestyle interaction, where two students can work together on the same interactive lesson activity and perform different tasks simultaneously -- such as writing with digital ink and manipulating digital objects -- anywhere on the interactive whiteboard surface. Multitouch SMART Notebook lesson activities, specifically-designed for use on the SMART Board 800 series and available through the SMART Exchange website (http://exchange.smarttech.com/), enable enhanced collaboration, giving more students hands-on time at the interactive whiteboard. The 800 series, which includes the models 880 and 880i, and the widescreen 885, 885i and 885ix models, will begin shipping in North America on November 29, 2010 and globally on January 30, 2011.
SMART's DViT (Digital Vision Touch) technology enables many of the features offered by the SMART Board 800 series interactive whiteboard. DViT technology uses proprietary digital cameras and sophisticated software to recognize a finger touch, stylus, pointer or other object input on the interactive whiteboard surface. The digital cameras are positioned in each corner of the interactive whiteboard frame, and communicate input information back to a digital signal processor to determine the exact point of contact. The SMART Board 800 series interactive whiteboard is the first touch-enabled front-projection interactive whiteboard to utilize DViT technology.
* Multitouch experience -- Enables two users to interact with the interactive whiteboard simultaneously with no special tools or multitouch mode selection required
* Freestyle interaction -- Enables two users to work together, performing different tasks, anywhere on the board
* Smart ink -- Ink-smoothing algorithms make handwritten annotations look smother and more refined
* Touch gestures -- Accepts common multitouch gestures currently recognized in Microsoft Windows 7 and Mac Snow Leopard, including one- and two-finger gestures, such as pinching, zooming and tossing. Gestures will be available for use in SMART Notebook lesson activities after the release of SMART Notebook 10.7 software
* Object awareness -- Distinguishes between a finger, pen or other object to recognize what action the user is taking
* Multiuser Pen Tray -- Enables two users to pick up and use a pen tool and begin writing. Easy-to-use buttons on the Pen Tray make switching ink color, right-mouse clicks and accessing the on-screen keyboard easy
* Durable surface -- Surface is optimized for projection, producing no hot spots, and is compatible with dry-erase markers
* Modular design -- Pen Tray enables the quick and easy integration of accessories, such as the extended control panel
* Locking pen mode -- Locks the SMART Board interactive whiteboard in pen mode so students can write, draw and make annotations with a finger, pen tool or other object
* SMART product integration --Seamless integration with the full range of SMART hardware and software products, including SMART Notebook software version 10.6 or later. Full gesture recognition and multiuser functionality is available using SMART Notebook 10.7 software, expected by March 2011.
(Some of the above features will be supported in SMART Notebook 10.7 collaborative learning software upon release, expected by March 2011.)
The SMART Board 800 series interactive whiteboard will be available in North America on November 29, 2010, and globally on January 30, 2011. The suggested education list price in the United States for the standard SMART Board 880 interactive whiteboard is US$1,999 and US$3,899 for the 880i interactive whiteboard system. The suggested education list price in the United States for the widescreen 885 model is US$2,419. The suggested education list price in the United States for the widescreen 885i interactive whiteboard system is US$4,399 and US$4,899 for the widescreen 885ix interactive whiteboard system. For purchasing information, specifications and a list of authorized SMART resellers, visit http://smarttech.com/.
Source: SMART Technologies, http://smarttech.com