Olympus America, Inc., in partnership with Tool Factory, Inc., recently announced it is sponsoring a classroom grants program and a student photo contest designed to strengthen education through digital imaging and the power of visual learning. Aimed at K-12 students and teachers, the two programs will award winners packages that include Olympus digital cameras, Tool Factory educational software, and cash. Each of the four classroom grants to be awarded is worth $3,550. One first-place and three second-place student photo contest winners will receive their share of over $3,200 in prizes. Teacher and student winners will be announced at the upcoming National Educational Computing Conference (NECC), held in Philadelphia, June 27-30, 2005.
Online entries for the grants program and photo competition are now being accepted. The deadline for entries is Wednesday, June 1, 2005.
Educators can visit http://www.toolfactory.com/olympus_contest/
to complete a one-page online application to win one of the four classroom grants to be awarded. The application requires only basic information from the teacher, a description of the proposed project for which the grant will be used, and a budget for up to $500. Submitted entries can be edited online any time until the June 1 deadline.
Grant applications will be judged on:
* The effective use of digital imaging and technology in the classroom, in any subject area.
* A high degree of involvement from all members of the classroom. Students can contribute to one classroom project, work as groups, or submit projects individually.
* Creativity and fun: students and educators should all enjoy the proposed classroom program, and the resulting presentations should be captivating and educational.
Each grant winner will receive:
* Three Olympus D-540 digital cameras for their classrooms, offering 3.2 megapixel capacity, a 10X (3X Olympus Optical Zoom, 3.3X Olympus Digital Zoom), auto-focus, seven shooting modes, and Auto-Connect USB for easy downloading of images.
* $500 cash for the supplies specified by the applicant.
* Tool Factory software licensed to install on every computer in the school, worth up to $2,000.
* 30 "Digital Camera Basics" workbooks, and "how-to" instructional manuals.
Winners will be contacted within 10 days of the June 1 deadline, giving educators time to prepare for the new school year.
Student Photo Contest
Students can enter their favorite photos into the contest by visiting http://www.toolfactory.com/olympus
. The one-page entry form requests basic information and quickly allows for pictures to be uploaded directly onto Clip Art Station, where anyone can view the competing images once they've been accepted. Entries will be judged on composition, color, focus, captions, and creativity. Printable flyers are also available online for teachers to distribute to their colleagues and encourage students to enter the contest.
One Grand Prize Winner will receive:
* One Olympus C-5060, a digital camera offering 5.1 megapixel CCD, 14X zoom (4x wide-angle optical, 3.5 digital), high-speed sequential shooting, a fully adjustable LCD monitor, and Auto-Connect USB technology allowing quick downloads.
* Tool Factory software worth up to $200, plus $500 cash.
Three second-place winners will receive: * One Olympus D-540 digital camera.