H.W. Wilson has announced new enhancements to its WilsonWeb service, including improvements to the WilsonWeb Mobile interface, expansion of the "My WilsonWeb" individual user account functions, increased customization, and more.
• Record previews. Users can preview individual records without navigating away from the "brief display" search results screen, by mousing over the new "quick view" icon. The pop-up "quick view" includes important fields such as Abstracts, Title, Author, Source, Publication Year, and Subject. The preview vanishes when you mouse away from the icon.
• Zotero compatibility. FireFox users will now be able to use the Zotero pane with their WilsonWeb databases. Zotero is a popular tool that helps users collect, organize, cite and share their research sources.
• Custom background images. Add your own background image to the Search, Browse, and Thesaurus screens: your school crest, a holiday image, a campus view, or whatever suits your fancy. You can also choose images selected by H.W. Wilson-a rotating sequence of colorful backgrounds that changes each time the user logs into WilsonWeb.
• New tools for the "My WilsonWeb" individual user accounts. WilsonWeb users can now access any embedded "widget" added to the WilsonWeb interface from their "My WilsonWeb" individual user accounts. (Formerly, widgets were only visible on the search results screen.) They can also now create folders to organize their "My WilsonWeb" notes, as well as email notes from within "My WilsonWeb."
• ReadSpeaker text-to-speech converter enhancements. WilsonWeb's ReadSpeaker now allows users to highlight sections of text for listening, and regulate the speed of narration. Available on WilsonWeb full-text databases, the ReadSpeaker "text to speech" converter lets users listen to articles as streaming audio, or download as MP3s for playback later. ReadSpeaker usage stats are available in WilsonWeb statistics reports for library administrators.
• WilsonWeb Mobile enhancements. The WilsonWeb Mobile interface-designed for use on smart phones and other devices-now allows libraries to add up to 3 custom links. At the bottom of the search results pages, new search boxes have been added, allowing users to launch new searches without returning to the main search screen. Additionally, Wilson Mobile usage statistics are now available for administrators, and the interface has been adapted to work with Shibboleth Authentication.
• An all-in-one WilsonWeb login screen. Libraries can direct all users to a single, convenient webpage for authentication, whether by user ID and password, patron ID number, barcode number or library card number, or any of the Shibboleth access links (UK Federation, SWITCHaai, InCommon, and EduID.cz).
For more on the WilsonWeb enhancements, including additional news, details and illustrations, visit www.hwwilson.com/enhancements.
Source: H.W. Wilson, www.hwwilson.com