The National Association of Media & Technology Centers (NAMTC) and EduTone Corporation have announced the launch of a state-of-the-art, Web 2.0 and social media-based Digital Marketplace (DMP) to be offered by NAMTC to its members. The NAMTC Digital Marketplace consists of various web-based solutions provided by NAMTC's corporate partners. The DMP includes new and innovative software as a service (SaaS) application and content providers whose aim is to improve learning and enable teachers to prepare students to compete in the 21st century economy. The EduTone Xchange Platform will enable member educational service agencies (ESAs) to deliver these solutions to their districts and schools through locally-branded ESA Portals.
The solutions offered in the NAMTC DMP span a wide spectrum of services:
- online interactive children's books reading, writing and collaboration tools from Big Universe (www.biguniverse.com)
- interactive and versatile curriculum delivery tools from Educational Tools (www.educationaltools.org)
- comprehensive multimedia curriculum, used as interactive ibooks, for supplemental education and independent studies from eTAP (www.etap.org)
- Web 2.0 tools to enable teachers to transform on-line learning from School Town (www.schooltown.net)
- an online learning community built on a coaching platform that includes communication, content, Web 2.0, and publishing tools all in one place from eCoach (www.my-ecoach.com)
- a tool for schools to collect and recover revenue from My Payment Network (www.schoolpaynetwork.com)
- an online teacher community, We The Teachers, for collaboration, communication, and sharing (www.wetheteachers.com)
- automated access to Curriki (www.curriki.org), a community that communicates, shares, and collaborates on free and open source curricula and simplified and school controlled access to Google Apps
- several Web applications with similar functionality to traditional office suites (www.google.com).
All application and content providers in the NAMTC DMP offer a "freemium" model where users can try applications and content before they buy. NAMTC and EduTone expect over 100 new application and content providers to join the Digital marketplace in the next few months.
Source: NAMTC, www.NAMTC.org