The U.S. Department of Education is reaching out to districts who need assistance in preparing a Literacy Through School Libraries grant.
Technical Assistance Conference Calls are scheduled for:
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 from 9:30 - 10:30 A.M. EST
Thursday, February 24, 2005 from 1:00 - 2:00 P.M. EST
Contact Francisco Ramirez by e-mail—email@example.com—or phone—202/260-1541—for the participation codes or to e-mail questions in advance.
The DOE competitive Literacy Through School Libraries grant applications for 2005 are available at: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20051800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2005/05-1652.htm
* Applications Available: January 28, 2005.
* Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: March 14, 2005.
* Deadline for Intergovernmental Review: May 13, 2005.
* Eligible Applicants: Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in which at least 20 percent of the students served by the LEA are from families with incomes below the poverty line based on the most recent satisfactory data available from the U.S. Census Bureau. A list of LEAs with their family poverty rates (based on this Census Bureau data) is posted on our Web site at: http://www.ed.gov/programs/lsl/eligibility.html
* Estimated Available Funds: $19,683,264. Of that amount, $19,092,766 will be awarded competitively. Contingent upon the availability of funds and quality of applications, the Secretary may make additional awards in FY 2006 from the list of unfunded applicants from this competition.
* Estimated Range of Awards: $30,000 to $350,000.
* Estimated Average Size of Awards: $190,000.
* Estimated Number of Awards: 100.
Note: Actual award amounts will be based on the number of schools and students served by the project.
For more information on the Improving Literacy Through Schools Libraries program, visit the USDOE Web page on the program at http://www.ed.gov/programs/lsl/index.html
Source: U.S. Department of Education