In celebration of National Library Week April 13-19, Gale, part of Cengage Learning, is running a “Libraries are Beautiful” photo contest, calling all library lovers to show how their library makes their community a more beautiful place—physically or metaphorically. To enter, library staff, students or patrons need only to submit a picture of the nominated library along with a short write-up for any of the 5 award categories. One “Best of Category” winner will be selected per category and will receive $500. One grand prize winner will be awarded “Best in Show” and take home $2,500. Categories include:
· Most Unique Structure/Art Installation: Is there a particular piece of art or sculpture that's always a topic of conversation at your library? Then please, show and tell.
· Greatest Historical Treasure: Whether it’s your building itself or something within your collections, share its story and historical significance.
· Most Modern Architecture: There is nothing wrong with tradition but show off your twenty-first century look.
· Coolest Internal Space: From a whimsical children’s space to a hip teen area, tech hub or academic retreat, show why students and patrons are flocking to enter and reluctant to leave.
· Best Curb Appeal: Show us what your library looks like from the road and why it’s making people stop in their tracks.
What: Gale’s “Libraries are Beautiful - Inside and Out” National Library Week Photo Contest. Submit a high resolution digital photo and 250 word write-up at http://solutions.cengage.com/beautifullibrary/. A Gale representative, along with a panel of judges – experts in art, architecture and design – will narrow the submissions to a top 5 per category, after which the nominees will be encouraged to share their image for popular vote. Popular vote will select category and overall winners.
Who: All U.S. libraries can be nominated to win. Nominations can be submitted by library staff, friends and users.
When: Submissions will be accepted March 19 – 28. Winners will be announced during National Library Week in April.
Why: Because libraries are beautiful – inside and out! Libraries improve the lives of those who use them. In honor of National Library Week, Gale is committed to helping promote the value of libraries and how libraries help make their communities brighter.
Details: Visit http://solutions.cengage.com/beautifullibrary/ for complete contest rules.
Source: Cengage Learning and Gale, www.cengage.com or www.gale.cengage.com