Discovery Education has announced the launch of Discovery Education Science Connection, a comprehensive supplemental multimedia toolkit that provides quality content in a flexible online format. With No Child Left Behind requiring all states to test students in science at least once each year in grades 3-5, 6-9, and 10-12 starting in the 2007-2008 school year, Science Connection is designed to help educators prepare students for high-stakes assessments with content that is directly tailored to state standards and allows for inquiry-based and explorative approaches to learning.
Designed specifically for middle-school educators, Science Connection is organized into three areas—Physical Science, Life Science, and Earth and Space Science—for easy integration into science curricula. Through Science Connection, students can access resources that encourage exploration, stimulate critical thinking, and deepen understanding, according to the announcement.
Selected features include the following:
- Interactive video with two-way interaction that invites students to click on "hotspots" during a selected video clip to gain additional information and to reinforce a learning point.
- Open-ended "Science Sleuths" mysteries that students can solve using clues and resources such as interviews, photos, articles, and graphics.
- Virtual labs that allow students to explore inquiry and science process skills using topics such as noise pollution and conditions for plant growth in real-world contexts.
- Integrated science simulations from Discovery Education's Discovery School Science CD-ROM Collection that allow students to explore situations from a variety of science perspectives.
- Video programs created exclusively for Science Connection.
- Dynamic reading passages from Discovery Education's Discovery School Science Collection book series that include science timelines and interviews with leading scientists.
- Formative assessment tools developed by Discovery Education ThinkLink Assessment to help educators identify each student's baseline understanding, followed by recommendations from the assessment to individualize instruction to meet student learning needs.
Discovery Education Science Connection is available for a free 30-day trial. To sign up, visit www.discoveryscienceconnection.com.
Source: Discovery Education, http://www.discoveryeducation.com