"You folks have a boatload to handle." Having survived one of two media center moves our district is making this year (this is my third experience with moving a media center), it's time to share a few thoughts about what worked and what didn't.
Preparing for the move and actually moving require you to assume the role of moving manager while you are still managing a media program. It's a time to apply the superb organizational, managerial, and communications skills that media specialists have and to answer the following questions:
* What are the timelines for each step? When should I start? What can be done now, what can be done soon, and what must wait till the very end?
* Who can help me? What skills do they need?
* What is absolutely essential to have in place when I open the doors to the new media center? What parts of the collection can be packed early? What must remain until the very end?
* Should the old media center remain open while we pack? Should the new media center open while we are moving in?
* Who's in charge? Who needs to know what? Who can answer my questions? Who will I answer to?
Preliminary Steps and Planning
This article is available in its entirety in a variety of formats — Preview, Full Text, Text+Graphics, and Page Image PDF — on a pay-per-view basis, courtesy of ITI's InfoCentral. CLICK HERE.